ESL Certification Program
ESL Certification Program
The AIU is pleased to offer a blended model for the 18 credit ESL certification program. This program will include online classwork, face-to-face class meetings and field experience. The courses are taught by ESL professionals currently working in the field and supervised by the ESL program director.
Each course is three credits and requires 10 hours of field experience per course. Participants in the program are encouraged to consider how they can work field experience hours into their current employment situation before beginning the program. The cost for each course is $499.
The ESL Program Specialist Certificate is an add-on certificate to another instructional certification.
The AIU’s ESL Program has partnered with Carlow University in order to offer a master's degree in Curriculum and Instruction. Carlow University will accept all 18 credits (six courses) of the ESL Specialist Certificate.
Questions can be directed to the ESL program supervisor, Charlene Byrd.
Please find the course schedule below and click on the course title to register.
Questions regarding ESL course registration through Frontline? Click here for frequently asked questions
2021-2022 ESL Certification Course Calendar
The first three ESL courses of 2021 will be facilitated online according to the scheduled times below.
Allegheny Intermediate Unit uses Canvas LMS and Zoom to facilitate synchronous and asynchronous segments
of online ESL courses. Registered participants will be notified of their Canvas login procedures 1-2 days prior to
the start date of each course.
The delivery format for ESL courses 4 through 6 is unconfirmed at this time and subject to change
according to Allegheny Intermediate Unit's health and safety protocols.
Each course will consist of:
- 10 hours of field experience
- 17.50 hours of face-to-face or virtual classroom instruction (one week)
- 15 hours of asynchronous work in the online classroom
COURSE ONE: Introduction to Teaching English as a Second Language - registration is closed
- Instructor: Ms. Charlene Byrd
- Online classes: June 21-25, 2021; daily 8:00 am – 11:30 am
- Final online class: October 18, 2021; 5:30-8:00 pm
- Online classwork due: October 11, 2021 at 11:59 pm
COURSE TWO: Developing Cultural Awareness and Sensitivity - registration is closed
- Instructor: Dr. Gina DeMarco-Wall
- Online classes: July 12-16, 2021; daily 8:00 am – 11:30 am
- Final online class: November 15, 2021; 5:30 -8:00 pm
- Online classwork due: November 8, 2021 at 11:59 pm
COURSE THREE: Language Acquisition and Development - registration is closed
- Instructor: Dr. Michelle Lee Amodei
- Online classes: August 2-6, 2021; 8:00 am – 11:30 am
- Final online class: December 6, 2021; 5:30 -8:00 pm
- Online classwork due: November 29, 2021 at 11:59 pm
COURSE FOUR: Observing, Planning, Implementing, and Managing Instruction - registration is now open!
- Instructor: Ms. Margo Machuga
- Opening class: November 1, 2021; 5:30 – 8:00 pm
- Saturday classes: November 6, 13, and 20, 2021; 8:00 – 11:30 am
- Closing class: January 31, 2022; 5:30 – 8:00 pm
- Online classwork due: January 24, 2022 at 11:59 pm
COURSE FIVE: ESL Assessment and Support - registration is now open!
- Instructor: Ms. Christine St. Clair
- Opening class: January 3, 2022; 5:30 – 8:00 pm
- Saturday classes: January 8, 15, and 22, 2022; 8:00 – 11:30 am
- Closing class: March 21, 2022; 5:30 – 8:00 pm
- Online classwork due: March 14, 2022 at 11:59 pm
COURSE SIX: English Language Learners, Families, Community, and Professionalism - registration is now open!
- Instructor: Ms. Suzanne Unger
- Opening class: February 21, 2022; 5:30 – 8:00 pm
- Saturday classes: February 26, March 5, and 12, 2022; 8:00 – 11:30 am
- Closing class: April 25, 2022; 5:30 – 8:00 pm
- Online classwork due: April 18, 2022 at 11:59 pm
- 1 evening class of 2.5 hours