Social Worker Services

Social work services are an integral part of the support services offered by the AIU. All of the AIU's social workers have a master's degree and are licensed in Pennsylvania. The AIU employs six full-time, one part-time and one intern social workers.

Psychological Testing/Social Worker Services Request Form

Below is a list of social work services that are available to schools and districts:

Individual and Group Counseling

Time-limited individual and group counseling help students deal with problems that interfere with learning and develop skills that enable them to achieve social success in school.

Topics include, but are not limited to:

  • Circles Program (Stanfield Education program teaching appropriate social distance.)
  • Conflict Resolution/Peer Mediation
  • Drug and Alcohol Awareness
  • Grief and Loss
  • Homework and Organization
  • Personal Hygiene
  • Problem Solving Skill Development
  • School Transitions (i.e. Getting Ready for Middle School)
  • Self-Esteem Building
  • Social Skills/Relationship Skills
  • Split and Blended Families
  • Stress Management/Anger Management
  • Transition Skills (i.e. living independently, making a good impression during an interview, how to handle constructive criticism from employer, money management, etc.)

Faculty Presentations and Trainings

The AIU's Social Workers can provide presentations and trainings to staff, when requested, on the following topics:

  • Bully Prevention - Deals with the issue of bullying on a school-wide basis, involves school staff in setting expectations and consequences for behavioral interaction among students.
  • Child Abuse and Neglect
  • Effective behavior management skill (Working with children with disabilities.)
  • Emotional Intelligence and Student Motivation
  • Establishing Positive Relationships with Parents and Caregivers
  • Fighting and Weapons: Intervention and Safety
  • Responding to Defiant and Oppositional Adolescents

Other Activities

  • Home visits (attendance issues, obtain signatures on paperwork, etc.)
  • Meetings with families to assist them in obtaining outside support services (i.e. social security for disabled students, wrap-around services, hospice, financial assistance, etc.)
  • Meetings with parents of newly identified special education students to discuss special education law, roles and responsibilities of schools versus parents, developing and maintaining positive relationships with the school district, using effective communicate skills to convey concerns about their child’s programming, etc.
  • Meetings with families to compile a comprehensive social history for psychological reports
  • Meetings with staff members to discuss EAP services
  • Consultation with IST, SAP or individual teachers regarding individual needs of students
  • Assistance to school teams with safety, planning and traumatic events

Please contact the Pupil Personnel Services Department if you have any questions regarding other services that may be available at 412-394-5732.  In order to make a referral for social worker services, please download the following form and email it to or fax to 412-394-4978.

Request Form for Psychological Testing/Social Worker Services

**FYI** - Many districts have been able to secure regular social worker services from the AIU through the Safe and Drug Free Schools Grant and ACCESS Funds. If you would like to find out more information about this process, feel free to call us.

Scroll to Top