The DART Early Intervention Preschool Program is seeking Part-Time 1:1 Preschool Assistants in various locations in Allehgeny County. The current locations include Sonshine Preschool, Bakerstown Preschool and Salem Preschool. This is an excellent part-time opportunity to begin a career in Early Intervention, for students who want to gain professional experience or if you are looking to return to work in a preschool setting.
Position Summary: To assist a specific child in a community preschool or early childhood special education preschool in relation to safety, mobility, or behavioral management needs per the child’s Individualized Education Program (IEP).
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Implement suggestions, provide supports, collect data and follow the guidance of professional staff working with the child in implementing the child’s IEPs.
2. Assist child in the use of teaching devices, such as assistive technology, visual supports, and other devices used for individualized instruction.
3. Assist child at arrival, departure, on the playground, and during emergency drills. This would include going up and down steps and climbing equipment as needed.
4. Assist child in the bathroom if needed (including diapering, toilet training and hand-washing), assist lifting non-ambulatory students (when necessary), assist and/or monitor child with the removal of, and putting on outerwear, and feeding of child, if needed.
5. Communicate effectively with children, teachers, therapists, and supervisors via verbal, written, and e-mail correspondences.
6. Maintain confidentiality as it pertains to special education.
7. Attend training as required for performance of job, and to obtain 20 hours of professional development activities and trainings related to their assignment. This may include but is not limited to CPI, CPR, and First Aid.
8. Complete ACCESS billing in a timely manner if required for the child assigned.
9. Perform related duties assigned by the teacher/therapist or supervisor.
High School Diploma or GED required
Experience working with the preschool and/or special education population preferred
Valid PA driver’s license required
Ability to comply with the AIU Conduct policy
1. Sitting for extended period of time
2. Lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling up to 35 pounds
3. Ability to kneel, crouch, bend and reach to retrieve and handle materials and supplies
4. Moving fingers and hands in a repetitive manner
5. Ability to speak clearly and distinctly when communicating
6. Hearing clearly
7. Adequate vision to perform duties
Disclaimer: The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the One on One preschool assistant.
Reports To: Supervisor
Schedule: Determined by the student's IEP
To Apply: Please send resume and choice of location to HRWEB@aiu3.net