The Allegheny Intermediate Unit DART Program is seeking a Paraprofessional to work in a Long Term Substitute position in Bethel Park.
Position Title: DART Long Term Substitute Paraprofessional
A Paraprofessional’s role is to increase the quality of instruction to students by performing any instructional or non-instructional tasks required, under the supervision of a certified professional (teacher, therapist, principal, and supervisor). Paraprofessionals are not responsible for the design, direction or evaluation of the teaching/learning process.
Two categories: (1) Center-Based Paraprofessionals (2) District Paraprofessionals.
Center-Based Paraprofessionals: (Employed within 1 of 3 Special Education Centers) Classroom Paraprofessionals are assigned to one specific classroom. Building Paraprofessionals can be placed in up to 3 specific assignments per semester. Building Professionals At Large can be placed in any assignment within a specific building on a daily basis.
District Paraprofessionals: Include all Paraprofessionals employed in other locations, including school district classrooms, DART and Speech/Language classrooms.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists children to and from the bus at arrival and departure times when program and types of children warrant.
- Facilitates personal care services as needed to assist students with activities of daily living necessary for comfort and well-being, including toileting of children.
- Prepares and operates instructional equipment and materials including, but not limited to: audio/visual equipment, iPAD, Smartboard, Xerox copies, lamination, computer documents/printing, visual aids, artwork, etc., as directed by the teacher and/or therapist.
- Assures that all possible measures are taken to assist a child in the event of an emergency until help arrives. This includes notifying the immediate supervisor and/or supervising administrator immediately.
- Maintains good housekeeping and follows program health guidelines in the classroom and diaper changing areas. This includes proper storage of materials, supplies and equipment; cleaning chalkboards, tables and chairs as needed; placing desks, tables and chairs in proper order, etc.
- Updates attendance records and data collection, as programs require under AIU PA Certified Professional direction, handles and maintains confidentiality as it pertains to special education.
- Assists with feeding of students who are unable to feed themselves. In addition, may collect lunch/snack money, submit lunch count information and supervise students in the cafeteria as needed.
- Assists students in the use of teaching devices, such as assistive technology devices and computers, and other equipment used for individualized instruction.
- Participates in parent/teacher conferences and IEP conferences, as requested.
- Interacts and assists in the supervision of students during work-instructed assignments, play activities, and emergency drills according to the standards and policies of the program, in all environments throughout the school day, while under the direct supervision of the AIU PA Certified Professional and/or Administration.
- Performs reinforcement instructional services as delegated by the PA Certified Professional, including, (but not limited to), reinforcing activities in the visual, auditory, motor and cognitive areas.
- Follows and implements IEPs (including behavioral intervention plans) under the direction of the AIU PA Certified Professional, follows and reinforces the behavioral management system in place and assists the teacher with students who may need physical intervention using accepted procedures (NCI or any other AIU approved procedures).
- Attends training as required for performance of job. This may include but is not limited to NCI, CPR, First Aid, Confidentiality, Universal Precautions and various diagnoses.
- Accompanies the teacher and students on field trips or community-based instruction during the school day.
- Performs other educationally related duties assigned by the teacher and/or Administration.
- Associates Degree or equivalent number of college credits (60) or a score of 462 or higher on the ParaPro Exam required.
- 1-2 years’ experience working with children with special needs strongly preferred.
- Training in crisis intervention, CPR and First Aid preferred.
- Ability to work as part of the educational team
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to speak clearly and distinctly.
- Ability to prioritize identified needs of students by following directives of classroom teachers, staff and peers, as well as the goals of the IEP.
- Experience working with preschool age children preferred. (DART Program)High school diploma or GED; Business Certificate or other degree from an accredited business school preferred
- Experience in office protocol, procedures, and prioritization
- Basic level expertise in current Microsoft Office products is required
- Experience with printing/duplicating and binding is required
- Experience with automated postage systems is preferred
- Demonstrated good customer service
- Good written/oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to travel
- Ability to comply with the AIU Conduct policy
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Be able to sit on preschool-size chairs and floor as necessary (DART)
- Walk up and down stairs, walk/run to implement services
- Be able to lift, carry, push, and pull 35 pounds
- Be able to kneel, crouch, bend and reach to retrieve and handle teaching materials and supplies and interact and facilitate the learning of the students
- Be able to speak clearly and distinctly when communicating
- Be able to hear clearly
- Adequate vision to perform duties
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the Paraprofessional At-Large
Reports To: Special Education Supervisor
Schedule: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri 8:30am – 4:00 pm, April 29, 2019 through August 29, 2019
Compensation: $70/day plus individual health benefits
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to HRWEB@aiu3.net