Job Title: Music Teacher (.70)
The Allegheny Intermediate Unit is seeking to fill a Music Teacher (.70) at its Mon Valley School located in Jefferson Hills. This position is responsible for the planning and implementation of program instructional services provided to students in special education center based programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Illustrate basic musical concepts (e.g. time and rhythm) for students through activities such as playing recorded music or playing an instrument in class accompanied by students.
- Design creative activities to allow students to experience different musical styles, interpret musical scores, and compose their own music.
- Incorporate direct instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work to engage students, keep classes focused and infuse a lasting desire to learn.
- Provide aural training through the performance of music, talks, discussion, practical music, and written assignments.
- Introduce individual students to particular instruments and assess students’ needs in regard to instrumental training.
- Set up and conduct school choirs and concerts.
- Evaluate students’ academic performance, behavior and social progress toward their IEP goals through data collection, student work and observation.
- Prepare progress reports, report cards and other state/district mandated paperwork/forms within established timelines.
- Maintain accurate special education paperwork, data, and student records that are in compliance with federal and state regulations and AIU /District guidelines.
- Establish and enforce rules for positive behavior, and procedures for maintaining a learning environment for students.
- Collaborate and communicate with parents, education personnel and other service providers to develop and implement Individual Education Plans (IEP) designed to increase student learning through specially designed instruction and accommodations for students’ needs.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the curriculum, and make adaptations and modifications to meet individual needs.
- Follow all administrative policies and rules governing students.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the building principal or special education supervisor.
- Maintain a professional demeanor at all times, following all AIU policies, building procedures and Pennsylvania professional code of conduct.
- Work collaboratively with co-workers; including the proper management of support staff within the classroom.
- Utilize e-mail, Microsoft Office programs, and student informational systems ( i.e. IEP Writer, Eschool) to manage communication, information and records.
- Valid PA certification in Music required.
- Special Education Certification and/or experience preferred.
- Knowledge of curriculum relevant to grade level and student functional level
- Knowledge of core subject material, i.e. reading, math and writing
- Working knowledge of curriculum modifications
- Understanding of grading procedures
- Ability to maintain daily attendance using student informational system
- Maintain certification in CPR/NCI
- Knowledge of sign language preferred
- Strong understanding of pre-vocational skills curriculum
- Ability to create an educational environment within the room that is reflective of the educational process
- Ability to interpret a Functional Behavior Assessment and develop a Positive Behavior Intervention Plan preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of the state standards for Arts and Humanities with relationship to Music, Performing Arts, i.e. rhythm, beat, tempo, etc.
- Ability to comply with the AIU Conduct Policy.
- Current Act 114, Act 34 and Act 151 required prior to an offer (Must be dated within 1 year of hire date).
- School Personnel Health Record (Form H511.340 (8/2011)) must be completed and received by Human Resources prior to hire date.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Be able to lift or carry up to 35 pounds.
- Sitting for extended period of time.
- Ability to kneel, crouch, bend and reach to retrieve and handle teaching materials and supplies
- Hearing clearly
- Adequate vision to perform duties
- Moving fingers and hands in a repetitive manner
- Be able to bend or twist at the neck and back.
- Specific vision includes peripheral vision and close vision.
- Be able to stand for extended periods throughout the day.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Disclaimer: The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the Music Teacher.
Reports To: Principal
Department: Special Education Program
Position Schedule: August - June
Salary and Benefits: Per the AIUEA Collective Bargaining Unit Agreement
To Apply: Send resume and PA Certification to HRWEB@aiu3.net