Part-Time Family Literacy Aide
Job Title: Part-Time Family Literacy Aide
The Allegheny Intermediate Unit is seeking an experienced Part-Time Family Literacy Aide for its Adult Education and Workforce Development Program. This position is located in the Carnegie Area. This position requires an ability to work with children from birth to age five (5) years, a general awareness of child development, and other duties as deemed necessary by the Family Literacy Supervisor. This position is accountable for providing child care during and in alignment with the Early Childhood Education Activities offered through the Adult Education Family Literacy Program, and also to provide other related duties as deemed necessary by the Family Literacy Supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide child care during scheduled Early Childhood activities, field trips, and other activities and events as deemed necessary by the Family Literacy Supervisor.
2. Assists the in maintaining care of all center equipment, toys and furnishings.
3. Plan activities for group along with other staff, set up for group by determining what materials are needed for the event, and assist parents and children in participation of the activity.
4. Participates as part of the team in Classroom related activities, planning and preparation.
5. Observes and records specific skills of the children, i.e., self-help skills, sensory motor skills, food preferences, etc. Share the positive things that occurred with the children to their parents.
6. Checking and stocking supplies by determining if there are adequate supplies for upcoming activities and events (paper, food, and books) pulling additional materials from storage room and list supplies that need purchased or re-stocked.
7. Attends in-services, workshops, training sessions, and appropriate meetings.
8. Performs computer work such as data entry, producing flyers and informational materials, updating mailing lists, and working on calendars and newsletters.
9. Clerical skills such as typing, filing, answering telephones, and other related clerical duties as deemed necessary by the program supervisor.
10. Provide support and guidance to older children that attend the center during interactive literacy activities, events, and summer/off times that the program is opened.
1. High school diploma/GED required
2. One year’s experience working with children, ages 0 -5, required
3. General awareness of child development required
4. Basic level expertise in current Microsoft Office products is required
5. Good written/oral communication and interpersonal skills
6. Ability to comply with the AIU Conduct policy
- Current Act 114, Act 34 and Act 151 required prior to an offer (Must be dated within 1 year of hire date).
- School Personnel Health Record (Form H511.340 (8/2011)) must be completed and received by Human Resources prior to hire date.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting for extended period of time
- Lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling 35 pounds
- Ability to kneel, crouch, bend and reach to retrieve and handle teaching materials and supplies
- Moving fingers and hands in a repetitive manner
- Ability to speak clearly and distinctly when communicating with limited English speaking customers
- Hearing clearly
- Adequate vision to perform duties
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with American Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Disclaimer: The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of this position.
Reports To: Program Supervisor
Position Schedule: 15-20 hours per week
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to HRWEB@aiu3.net