Part-Time Adult Education Instructor- Corrections
Job Title: Part-Time Adult Education Instructor - Corrections
Position Summary: This position provides classroom instruction to adults in a corrections setting, in accordance with program, Jail, and funders’ policies and best practices and produce positive learning student outcomes. The Instructor uses a variety of instructional strategies that engage program participants in learning within a correctional environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Implement the academic and workplace readiness curriculum in a manner consistent with the program design
2. Create a classroom environment characterized by respect and rapport that promotes a culture of learning in the corrections environment
3. Accommodate newly-enrolled students on an on-going open or managed enrollment basis
4. Develop an individualized educational plan and curriculum for each participant
5. Provide orientation, evaluation and placement for new participants according to program guidelines as required
6. Address each participant’s current academic and social level of functioning by offering the participant the appropriate level of challenge and guided practice for basic academic, social and life skills
7. Manage student behavior and classroom procedures effectively in accordance to Jail policies
8. Administer monthly progress assessments using appropriate informal assessment methods
9. Administer appropriate pre and post adult education assessments according to testing protocol and within the proper timeframe
10. Recognize and address issues that are sensitive and of a confidential nature, and refer students with concerns or issues to the Program Coordinator
11. Maintain accurate student records and submit them to the coordinator according to schedule
12. Maintain electronic data keeping for accurate data reporting
13. Perform non-instructional duties per directions from the Coordinator or Supervisor
14. Conform to the policies and procedures mandated by the Jail
1. Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 1 year experience teaching adults
2. Master’s degree and corrections education experience highly preferred
3. Experience with Adult Basic Education, GED instruction, developmental classes or special
4. Education classroom teaching experience highly preferred
5. Strong communication and interpersonal skills
6. Strong organizational and electronic recordkeeping skills
7. Ability to work independently and as part of an instructional team
8. Evidence of ability to use instructional technology and capability of advancing the integration of instructional technology into the curriculum
9. Evidence of ability to integrate workforce development into curriculum
10. Knowledge of and interest in implementing individualized. Non-traditional best practices related to curriculum development and classroom instruction
11. Ability to customize instruction as necessary in multi-level class
12. Ability to comply with the AIU conduct policy.
1. Current Act 114, Act 34 and Act 151 required prior to an offer (Must be dated within 1 year of hire date).
2. School Personnel Health Record (Form H511.340 (8/2011)) must be completed and received by Human Resources prior to hire date.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Sitting for extended period of time
2. Lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling 35 pounds
3. Ability to kneel, crouch, bend and reach to retrieve and handle teaching materials and supplies
4. Moving fingers and hands in a repetitive manner
5. Ability to speak clearly and distinctly when communicating
6. Hearing clearly
7. Adequate vision to perform duties
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Disclaimer: The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of this position.
Reports To: Coordinator, Adult Education Program
Position Schedule: 29 hours per week
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to