Community Schools East and West
The AEP's community schools provide instruction and school counseling to students (grades 7-12) who have been removed from their traditional school for a variety of reasons. These students may or may not be affiliated with the Juvenile Court or the Office of Children, Youth and Families. A memorandum of understanding is created between the community school and the student's home school district to ensure proper credit for classes enrolled. The community school offers students an academic curriculum while learning in a small school environment.
Educational Services provided by the AEP community schools:
- Experienced PA state certified teachers and school counselors
- Curriculum that is aligned to Chapter 4 standards with flexible scheduling
- Proactive school counseling program aligned to national standards of the ASCA
- State-of-the-art classroom technology
- High student expectations
- Small group and individualized instruction
- Teacher mentoring program
- Student improvement plans
Community School East
Located on the third floor of the Westinghouse Valley Human Services Center at:
519 Penn Avenue
Turtle Creek, PA 15145
Principal: Barbara Wakefield
Serving: Baldwin-Whitehall, Bethel Park, Clairton, Duquesne, East Allegheny, Elizabeth Forward, Gateway, McKeesport Area, South Allegheny, South Fayette, South Park, Steel Valley, West Jefferson Hills, West Mifflin, and Woodland Hills.
Community School West
Located in the heart of McKees Rocks at:
19 May Avenue, 1st Floor
McKees Rocks, PA 15136
Principal: Regis Mullen
Serving: Avonworth, Carlynton, Chartiers Valley, Cornell, Fox Chapel, Hampton Township, Keystone Oaks, Montour, Moon, Mt. Lebanon, North Allegheny, North Hills, Northgate, Pine-Richland, Quaker Valley, Shaler, Sto-Rox, Upper St. Clair, West Allegheny and the Pittsburgh Public Schools (Northern area).