What is DART?
DART is an acronym that stands for Discovery, Assessment, Referral and Tracking.
DART Preschool Early Intervention:
- Finds eligible children, ages three to five, who have developmental delays or disabilities in the 42 school districts in Allegheny County.
- Provides free screenings/evaluations to identify needs in communication, adaptive, cognitive, fine motor, gross motor, personal/social areas.
- Provides free early intervention services, at no cost to parents.
- Includes developmental, speech/language, occupational therapy, physical therapy, vision, hearing and family services.
- Provided by highly qualified staff of special educators, therapists, and paraprofessionals, year-round.
- Children must be three to five years old and demonstrate a delay of 25% or more in one or more developmental areas (communication, adaptive, cognitive, fine motor, gross motor, personal/social) on a standardized assessment.
- Services are provided in the Least Restrictive Environment.
- Itinerant services are provided in a child’s preschool, child care, Head Start classroom, Pre-K Counts classroom, or home. Over 78% of children are served in these inclusive environments.
- Preschool special education classrooms are provided in school district or church buildings.
What Should I Do First?
Call 412-394-5904 to arrange a free screening/evaluation.