Professional Development Opportunities
The Math & Science Collaborative (MSC) provides professional development opportunities and support initiatives in math and science education designed to improve teaching and learning. On-going professional development strengthens math and science education at the classroom, school, district and regional levels.
Professional development opportunities currently provided by the MSC include:
Summer 2013 Offerings
Intel Math is geared toward learning core mathematics content from the K-8 math curriculum, focusing on operations, functions, and algebra. The connections between arithmetic, algebra and geometry are emphasized throughout. Intel Math regularly considers mathematics as a second language and uses this idea to build mathematical understanding. The mathematics content composes 90% of the course; the remaining 10% is focused on pedagogy.
Math Coach Network
Recognizing that Math Coaches seek to: 1) develop deepened content and pedagogical knowledge, 2) become aware of new professional development resources, 3) learn to use case studies to examine coaching situations to determine what makes a coaching strategy effective, and 4) know how to objectively reflect on their own coaching work.
Math Coach Network meetings will be held at the AIU. Sessions for the 2012-2013 school year are:
- Monday, October 1, 2012
- Monday, November 5, 2012
- Thursday, January 10, 2013
- Monday, February 25, 2013
- Monday, May 6, 2013
All sessions are from 8:00 am-4:00 pm
For further information, contact Sam Shaneyfelt at 412-394-5759.